Regular hygiene visits are essential to prevent disease, bad breath and maintaining the health of your gums and teeth. Our hygienist has a primary role in helping educate you about the different techniques and ways to care for your teeth and gums. This includes discussions and education about things such as:
- What are your current brushing habits? Do you use an electric toothbrush? Do you floss or use Tepe brushes?
- What is your current diet like? Is it high in sugar or acids which may be damaging to your teeth?
Our hygienist is able to remove plaque and hard deposits using a combination of techniques. This is essential in preventing and managing gum disease. She is well known to be gentle and caring and is happy to discuss the approach that is most comfortable and beneficial for you.
At Honley Dental we are also able to offer stain removal services. Teeth can become stained for a large number of reasons for example smoking, red wine and tea/coffee. Staining can have a large impact on the appearance of your teeth and stain removal can greatly improve your smile and confidence. Everyone has different needs – our hygienist will ensure advice and treatment is tailor-made to you.
What are the signs of gum disease?
- Gums are red, puffy or bleed when brushing/flossing
- Tooth pain or sensitivity
- Receding gums (gums that have pulled away from the teeth)
- Bad breath
- Adult teeth that are loose, appear to be moving/developing gaps
What are the benefits of regular hygiene visits?
There are a number of benefits to having regular hygiene visits:
- Prevention of staining, dental disease, pain, infection, swelling and tooth loss
- Reduced further dental costs in the future
- Maintenance of a great looking smile
What could be the cause of my tooth staining?
- Food/drinks e.g. coffee, tea, red wine: this stain can be removed by stain removal techniques
- Smoking: this stain can be removed by stain removal techniques
- Poor dental hygiene: this stain may be removed by stain removal techniques
- Medication e.g. tetracycline antibiotic staining: this will not be removed by stain removal techniques and you will need to see one our dentist’s to discuss your treatment options
- Old fillings: this will not be removed by stain removal techniques and you will need to see one our dentist’s to discuss your treatment options
- Ageing: as we get older the outer layer of our teeth (enamel) gets thinner revealing the natural yellow colour of the underlying tooth structure (dentine). This will not be removed by stain removal techniques and you will need to see one our dentist’s to discuss your treatment options
- Trauma: sometimes trauma to a tooth can cause it to change colour. This will not be removed by stain removal techniques and you will need to see one our dentist’s to discuss your treatment options
Becoming a Patient
At Honley Dental we are keen to see our patient’s regularly to encourage prevention and to detect any problems early. Regular dental examinations are essential for ensuring dental and oral health.
For this reason we are delighted to offer the Honley Dental Care Plans, our own membership scheme. This plan enables us to provide you with the treatment and support necessary to prevent and manage disease, keeping your mouth healthy and keeping you smiling.