At Honley Dental we are very passionate about preventing dental problems. Preventing trauma is just as important to as preventing decay. Injuries to the mouth and face can be detrimental to your smile with life-long consequences. Preventing injuries to your mouth and face is particularly important if you participate in organised contact sports and other recreational activities. Mouthguards help cushion any impacts to the mouth and teeth, minimising the risk of broken teeth and injuries to the lips and tongue. Typically they just cover the upper teeth.
Types of mouthguards:
- Custom-made: at Honley Dental we are able to provide our patients with custom-fitting mouthguards. These are made from direct moulds of the teeth and mouth creating the best fitting and most comfortable mouthguard possible. Mouthguards come in a range of colours and can even be customised to feature special designs
- Boil and bite: bought at sports stores they are softened in water and then inserted into the mouth. The fit will be better than stock mouthguards however do not provide the same comfort or protection as custom-made mouthguards
- Stock: bought as sports stores they are ready to fit straight away. Unfortunately they are poor fitting and usually uncomfortable
- Prevent damage to the teeth caused by trauma
- Prevent tooth loss caused by trauma
- Prevent damage to the mouth and lips caused by trauma
Becoming a Patient
At Honley Dental we are keen to see our patient’s regularly to encourage prevention and to detect any problems early. Regular dental examinations are essential for ensuring dental and oral health.
For this reason we are delighted to offer the Honley Dental Care Plans, our own membership scheme. This plan enables us to provide you with the treatment and support necessary to prevent and manage disease, keeping your mouth healthy and keeping you smiling.