When teeth become decayed, worn or fractured they may require fillings. Fillings can be done using metal or white/tooth-coloured materials. In the event of you requiring a filling the dentist will discuss the material choices with you and the benefits of each.
At Honley Dental we use the highest quality materials and techniques to ensure your tooth is restored back to function, pain-free. Traditionally metal fillings were used predominantly, more often now our patients are requesting tooth coloured fillings so the tooth is restored back to a natural appearance, blending in with the surrounding teeth. Old metal fillings can also be replaced with new tooth coloured fillings.
How to help prevent fillings?
- Brush twice a day using a fluoride (1450ppmf) containing toothpaste
- Spit out toothpaste but do not rinse after brushing
- Clean in between teeth using floss or tepe brushes
- Visit our dentists regularly for examinations
- Visit our hygienist regularly for hygiene services
- Maintain a healthy diet, low in sugars and acids which can be damaging to teeth
- Avoid hard/sticky foods e.g. toffees
- If you play a contact sport, ask your dentist about mouthguards
Advantages of white/tooth-coloured fillings:
The following are benefits of tooth coloured fillings over traditional metal, mercury fillings:
- Aesthetic: blend in with your natural teeth so the filling is not visible in your mouth
- Conservative: less drilling is needed
- Adhesive: stick to natural tooth allowing front teeth to be rebuilt and preventing cracks in larger teeth
- Mercury free
Becoming a Patient
At Honley Dental we are keen to see our patient’s regularly to encourage prevention and to detect any problems early. Regular dental examinations are essential for ensuring dental and oral health.
For this reason we are delighted to offer the Honley Dental Care Plans, our own membership scheme. This plan enables us to provide you with the treatment and support necessary to prevent and manage disease, keeping your mouth healthy and keeping you smiling.