Tooth whitening is a safe and highly popular procedure used to improve the colour of natural teeth. There are a number of suggested ways to whiten teeth; however at Honley Dental we are passionate about only performing treatments that are scientifically proven and safe.
It is important before proceeding with tooth whitening that you receive an examination by one of our dentists. This ensures that the procedure is justified, safe and appropriate for each individual case. Our dentist will be able to assess if there are any likely complications and if so how these could be managed. Our dentists are able to take before/after shades and photographs to assess success.
Why should I see a dentist to have my teeth whitened?
- Legal: it is illegal for people to whiten teeth who are not registered dental professionals
- Safe: dentists are restricted to use a safe concentration of bleach on your teeth
- Effective: dentists are able to use scientifically proven techniques
- Assessment: dentists have the knowledge to assess the suitability of your case for whitening and they will be able to avoid and manage any complications that arise
Tooth whitening performed by a non-registered dental professional e.g. a beautician:
- Usually cheaper initially
- May permanently damage teeth
- May cause severe sensitivity/pain
- May not be effective
- May worsen your smile
- May burn gums and lips
- Not follow up care from a dentist
- Likely to cost more in the long term to correct any problems caused
What are the advantages of tooth whitening?
- More attractive smile
- Younger looking smile
- Suggested to help reduce the risk of decay
- Tooth whitening will not whiten fillings/onlays/crowns
- Sensitivity is common (only during tooth whitening)
Becoming a Patient
At Honley Dental we are keen to see our patient’s regularly to encourage prevention and to detect any problems early. Regular dental examinations are essential for ensuring dental and oral health.
For this reason we are delighted to offer the Honley Dental Care Plans, our own membership scheme. This plan enables us to provide you with the treatment and support necessary to prevent and manage disease, keeping your mouth healthy and keeping you smiling.